Direct admission at the second year is authorized in Paris and allows the delivery of UPMC master diploma
Only valid in Paris
Students must fill the admission criteria mentioned for the first year (link to first year admission) and in addition justify the following prerequisites:
· Quantum mechanics, atomic and molecular physics :Hydrogen atom: radial and angular components of the wavefunction, Periodic table, Hund's rule, Hydrogen molecule, Static perturbations (degenerated and non-degenerated cases), Variational method, Kinetic orbital momentum
· Statistical Physics: Concept of thermodynamic potential. Legendre transformations. Partition function. Entropy, Quantum statistics: Fermi-Dirac and Bose-Einstein
· Electrodynamics: Electrodynamics of continuous media, Complex refractive index. Absorption and reflection.
· Basic Solid State Physics: Crystal symmetries. Bravais lattices. X-ray diffraction. Electronic and ionic degrees of freedom: Born-Oppenheimer approximation. Phonons in 1D periodic systems: Brillouin zone. Dynamical matrix. Acoustic and optical branches. Electronic band structure. Bloch functions
· Mathematics: Fourier transforms and delta function, Basics of functionals and functional derivatives
· Programming Language: Fortran 95 or C
Language requirements :
No proficiency in languages required.